About Oregon –
Oregon is a state in the United States’ Pacific Northwest area. Oregon is located in the Western United States, with the Columbia River forming much of its northern border with Washington and the Snake River forming much of its eastern border with Idaho. The southern boundary with California and Nevada is defined by the 42° north parallel. The Pacific Ocean forms the western boundary.
Oregon is noted for its diversified scenery and abundance of outdoor recreational possibilities, such as gorgeous bikeways, lush forests, and stunning lakes. From the deep Carter Lake to the majestic Mount Hood, Oregon is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream. Oregon is also known for its stunning landscape, numerous recreational possibilities, excellent breweries, and a simpler way of life. I’m convinced that there is an Oregon town that suits practically everyone’s requirements.
Oregon is one of the most beautiful states in the country, but it is also one of the most expensive. Oregon’s average annual cost of living is $47,779
What about morticians in Oregon and the requirements to become a mortician?
- According to the US Bureau of Labour Statistics, Oregon ranks in the low-middle range for mortician employment, with between 150 and 340 morticians employed across the state. Morticians are also known as funeral service practitioners or funeral directors in Oregon. Several conditions must be met in order to become a licensed funeral service practitioner in Oregon.
- To begin, you must have a mortuary science degree from an authorized programme. Second, you must pass the National Board Exam, which covers funeral service law, embalming, and funeral service administration. Finally, you’ll need to pass a state-specific exam covering Oregon funeral service rules and regulations. Fourth, in Oregon, you must complete a 2,000-hour apprenticeship under the direction of a licensed funeral service practitioner. Finally, you must submit an application to the Oregon Mortuary and Cemetery Board, together with any fees and paperwork that may be necessary.
- You can lawfully practice as a mortuary in Oregon after you met these requirements and earned your funeral service practitioner license. It is important to note that funeral service practitioners in Oregon must renew their license every two years and complete continuing education requirements in order to stay current with industry advancements and laws.
What is the employment rate of Oregon?
According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics (BLS), the employment rate in Oregon was 74.8%. This means that 74.8% of the civilian noninstitutional population in Oregon aged 16 and up was employed. According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics (BLS), the unemployment rate in Oregon was 4.3%. This represents a reduction from the previous month’s rate of 4.6%. Since the pandemic-induced spike in April 2020, when the rate hit 14.9%, Oregon’s unemployment rate has been progressively dropping.
It is crucial to note that the unemployment rate can fluctuate owing to a variety of reasons such as economic changes, industry trends, and the broader labor market. Furthermore, the unemployment rate in Oregon varies by location, industry, and occupation.
What are the career opportunities for a mortician in Oregon?
Funeral Director & Mortician salaries in Oregon range from $102,958 to $140,090, with a typical pay of $114,640. Funeral Directors & Morticians earn between $114,640 and $122,638, with the top 86% earning $140,090. Funeral homes in Oregon employ morticians. They spend the most of their time in the funeral home, where they prepare bodies and conduct funeral services. They may also perform funeral services at places of worship, private residences, cemeteries, and significant sites for the departed or their loved ones. If a person is not pleased with working as a funeral director or undertaker at funeral homes and hospitals, he can also work as a professor in the education sector.
Mortuary schools in Oregon?
The American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE) has accredited two mortuary schools in Oregon. The two colleges are –
- Mt. Hood Community College
- University of the Funeral Arts – Mortuary Science Program
Here are the brief explanation about the course its curriculums, criterias, requirements, tuition aid –
Mt. Hood Community College –
Program link – https://www.mhcc.edu/FSE/
Program description – Mt. Hood Community College has been in operation since 1970, preparing students for the industry’s diversified demands. Students will be exposed to a curriculum that includes embalming, cremation, microbiology, pathology, funeral directing, counseling, and management. Funeral directors must have a skill set that allows them to care for the deceased, the bereaved, and the legal requirements that arise at the moment of death. The variety of options for body disposition and memorialization is always expanding, and professionals must apply the theory and practice that they begin to build in the programme, as well as enhance their talents in the workplace.
Program requirements – The Funeral Service Education (FSE) programme has limited enrollment, and applicants must meet certain criteria before their application is evaluated. A point-based approach is used to select applicants. Currently, students are admitted to the programme as first or second year students each Fall term.
Program fees – the application fees are $35. And for more information about the course fees visit the program link provided above.
University of the Funeral Arts – Mortuary Science Program –
Program Link – https://med.umn.edu/mortuaryscience
Program description – This programme prepares students for a mortuary science degree from a qualified professional. In terms of building a person’s skills as an undertaker, they provide instruction and education from a trained and professional person. The goal of the Mortuary Science Programme is to expertly blend the study of behavioral, physical, and practical sciences to equip graduates for positions as knowledgeable, skilled, and imaginative funeral service professionals. Graduates will be prepared to help bereaved people in their communities in a professional, dignified, and caring manner.
Program requirements – This course requires students to have a CGPA of 2.75 overall and a high school diploma from a recognised institution. They will also want the National Board Examination (NBE) score card.
Tuition fees – please visit the program link for more information about the tuition fees.